Post-GST 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLA Facelift Gets Cheaper By Up To Rs.3.8 Lakh
Mercedes-Benz India today launched the 2017 GLA facelift at a starting price of ₹ 30.65 lakh (ex-showroom). This is the seventh new product launched by the Stuttgart based car maker this year and the first Mercedes-Benz model to be launched in India post the implementations of the new Goods and Service Tax a.k.a. GST. As per the new GST, taxes on cars like the Mercedes-Benz GLA have gone down by 12 %, as an effect of which the upgraded model has become inexpensive up to Rs.3.8 lakh than the pre facelift GLA SUV. Excitingly, Mercedes-Benz was one of the first automakers to announce a price reduction on cars of up to 4 % and that to prior to the official roll out of GST in the country. As per the new GST structure all cars sold in India will attract a standard 28 per cent tax over and above which there will be a cess of either 1%, 3% or 15 %. All cars that are longer than 4-metres in dimension, regardless of body type, segment and engine capacity, will fall under the 15 per cent cess bracket; plus the 28 per cent slab brings the total to 43 per cent compared to the pre-GST tax rate of 55 %.
Considering these details were already known earlier the GST roll out, Mercedes-Benz India had a good head start to plan the GLA’s pricing. Mercedes-Benz India mainly offers the GLA facelift is 3 trim options – GLA 200, GLA 200d and GLA 220d 4MATIC. The base model GLA 200d also comes in 2 variants – Sport and Style. Among the older and the facelift, the biggest price difference is between the petrol-powered GLA 200. Launched at Rs.32.20 lakh, the updated GLA 200 is a good Rs.3.8 lakh inexpensive than the pre-facelift model. The diesel models – 200d Style and 200d Sport are now priced at Rs.30.65 lakh and Rs.33.85 lakh correspondingly, compared to the pre-facelift models that were priced at Rs.32.75 lakh andRs.36.90 lakh. As for the top-of-the-line GLA 220d 4MATIC, which we drove recently, is priced at Rs.36.75 lakh against the Rs.38.51 lakh price tag of the previous version.